Email us at:

Baza wiedzy

Start > Artykuły > Base Of Knowledge > Key Aspects and Challenges in Air Cargo

Key Aspects and Challenges in Air Cargo

The air cargo market is not only one of the most crucial segments of global logistics, but it also plays an invaluable role in shaping the world economy. In the era of globalization and growing demand for fast delivery of goods, air cargo is becoming increasingly vital. Its importance is immeasurable, particularly in the context of changing market, geopolitical, and climate conditions.

Types of Cargo and Their Classification

According to data published by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), approximately 60% of goods transported via air cargo fly along with passengers. This group includes low-volume but high-value items like electronics and jewelry. The remaining 40% consists of goods transported by specialized cargo planes, including hazardous materials, pharmaceutical products, and long-haul food items.

Importance of Security Procedures

Security is not just a priority, but a duty for all participants in the supply chain. These procedures stem from international regulations such as standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and IATA, as well as national laws. They apply at every level—from manufacturers to freight forwarders to airlines. On an organizational level, company boards are responsible for implementing these procedures, while at the operational level, individuals in specific roles like controllers or warehouse workers must strictly adhere to them.

Supply Chain Participants


  1. Regulatory Changes: frequent changes in regulations make planning difficult and require constant procedure updates.
  2. Optimizing Throughput: due to the growing volume of shipments, increasingly efficient management of cargo space is necessary.
  3. Security: thefts and sabotage pose significant risks, necessitating the use of advanced monitoring technologies.
  4. Sustainable Development: the pressure to minimize the environmental impact of transportation forces the search for eco-friendly solutions.
  5. Supply Chain Complexity: this requires intricate coordination and communication between different entities.


The air cargo market is not only complex but also fascinating. Its smooth operation relies on numerous procedures and regulations, and involves many different entities. Despite numerous challenges and threats, this sector is dynamically developing, adapting to changing conditions and needs of the global economy.